According to Sri Chinmoy, meditation and music cannot be separated. He says, “When we cry from the inmost recesses of our heart for peace, light and bliss, that is the best type of meditation. Next to meditation is music. But it has to be soulful music, the music that stirs and elevates our aspiring consciousness. When we play soulful music, psychic music, then immediately we are transported to the highest realm of consciousness. Each time soulful music is played, we get inspiration and delight. In the twinkling of an eye, music can elevate our consciousness.”
- Step 1: Choose a quiet time and place for your meditation.
- Step 2: Begin playing your music at a soft volume. You can also light a stick of incense if you wish.
- Step 3: Sit comfortably, with your spine upright, and begin breathing slowly and gently.
- Step 4: Focus your entire awareness on the music. If you can focus on a single instrument, such as a flute, that is even better.
- Step 5: Try to feel that your entire being has merged into the music. Allow the music to carry you to a realm of purest joy and peace. You will feel that you are no longer bound by your physical body. You have established your oneness with the universe. Sri Chinmoy says, “The universe itself is music. Unfortunately, most of the time we do not hear the music of the universe. We can hear it only when we dive deep within.”